Thursday, June 21, 2012

Good News and Baddish News

The good news is that my Success for All training went very well today! Outside of my afternoon caffeine withdrawal, I was able to pay attention and be academic on this beautiful, steamy day. Today after going over the different components of the curriculum, we would use the following feedback to provide feedback: "One thing I really liked was...," "One thing I am concerned about is...," and "One thing I need to remember is..." Please indulge me as use the same format with you! :) One thing I really like about the new curriculum is the focus on structured oral language development. One thing that concerns me is that guided reading is not embedded in the program, and I will have to be really creative to find a way to integrate into other components. One thing I need to remember is that growth comes with change. It also keeps us from getting too cocky, doesn't it? Honestly, I am looking forward to another session of training tomorrow!

The baddish news is that I pitched my new behavior plan idea to my powers that be, and they did not give me permission to try it. Looks like I should have gone with the "better to ask for forgiveness" option here. The better news about this, however, is they said our entire district is working to revamp our discipline plans; and this clip chart system has been discussed. :) The even better news is that I am still trying to think of a way to incorporate it ever-so-slightly. (Shhhh!) Now, hopefully I won't spend all night thinking about it like I did last night! I need more than two hours of sleep in order to make any sense at my training tomorrow!

Farewell for now, friends! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and discipline systems....keep them coming!! Sweet dreams, hopefully!

7 comments:

Freckleteacher said...

Hi ! I am a new follower. I am glad your training went well for the most part and I agree that change makes us grow and stay humble!

For the last 2 years I have been using an individual punch card for my stuents. Each day they get a punch on their card if they follwed class rules and had a good day overall. Kids who needed to make better choices to dont get a "punch". When a child gets 10 punches, he/she gets to viist the prize box. For group incentives, I do fun things like adding golden coins to a pot or flowers to a flowerpot and when it is all full, the class votes on a simple reward, such as longer Free Choice or a food treat. Then I also create a "secret message" where the whole class does something well and a letter in the message is filled in. Once the message is complete, the class earns a reward. It sounds like a lot of rewards, but they all take awhile to earn, so it really isn't that much. I just don't do well with clip charts or cards. Too much to manage. My students just understood that they could earn a "punch" for each day that they made good choices. I didn't say much in front of the whole class about it. They were told quietly most of the time. They really wanted to get those punches!
Hope that helps! Please vist my blog if you get a chance. I haven't posted in awhile, but will soon!

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

:) hello my bloggy friend!! I'm having a giveaway soon and I'd love for you to be part of it! Would you like to donate something from your tpt store? In return bloggies will follow your blog and store! Text me :)
Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class
I need your help! Come check out my last post ❤

Unknown said...

I'm your newest follower!!! Cute Blog:)

Tammy
1...2...3...Teach With Me

Sara {Miss V's Busy Bees} said...

I'm sorry about the outcome of the behavior plan - I do think that it's a great idea and that you could still somehow incorporate it - us teachers are smart! I'm a new follower to your blog :]

Sara
Miss V's Busy Bees

Kristin Young said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower! I found you through the ginormous giveaway you're part of. :) I'm having one this week too. Come follow me & join in!

http://littlemissglamourgoestokindergarten.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am your newest follower!

Sorry about your baddish news...I know how it feels to be shot down. I sometimes wonder if the powers that be even have a clue about real teaching in real classrooms...

I hope you'll check out my new "manly" kindergarten blog!

Greg
Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Have I told you lately how much I love your blog? Well I do and to show my appreciation I'm posting something at midnight (oooooh the suspense) about you!!
Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class