Monday, July 16, 2012

A Day in the Life of Miss Jones' Class: Listening Station

This week, I want to show you a little sneak peek into my classroom and a day in the life of Miss Jones' class. Each day, my kindergarten students visit work stations. Each student has a partner, and they visit the stations in pairs. Our listening station consists of a box with a picture representing the listening station, several books, and two iPod Nanos with headphones. (Of course, the iPod Nanos and the headphones were donated from those generous folks at DonorsChoose.org!! <3) The station is mobile, and the students just take the box to an available table in the classroom. The students choose a book and listen to the read-aloud while following along.

When the station is introduced, I show the students how to use their finger to move around the circle to search for the track and give them lots of time to practice. I have taken a photo of each book and attached it to the read-aloud tracks on iTunes. This makes it extremely easy for my young students to match their book of choice with the photo on the iPod Nano. Below is a screen cast to show you how to attach your own photo ("artwork") to a track on iTunes. Hope you find it useful!

I hope you enjoyed your glimpse into our classroom! Stop back by tomorrow to see another work station we enjoy using!!

2 comments:

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Love that your listening center is mobile! I think I'm going to have to do that this year!

Blessings,
Jessica
✏ Mrs. Stanford's Class ✏

Unknown said...

Thanks sharing your great ideas! I've nominated you for an award! Stop by my blog to get it!!

Brigid
Brigid's Daily Lesson Log